Tuesday, May 28, 2013

When I think about Empires, it takes me to the Eurasian empires of the classical era. All of Persia, Greece under Alexander the Great, Rome and China. What was so amazing about this, is how Alexander the Great even though considerably out numbered, defeated the Persian army. How he did this is still a mystery with such few men.  I have Persian friends, and still today they talk about this moment in time about Persian what is now called "Iran."

Rome with their political system and values, took control over the western Mediterranean. Rome had brought the ancient civilizations of Greece, Egypt, and Mesopotamia under Roman domination. Including Spain, France and Britain. Rome at had reached its maximum extent. Rome went from City-State to an Empire. Amazing when I read about how this city rags-to-riches all came about. When I think about Rome today, it kind of reminds me of how America is being ran. At the end, it has been the Roman that has provided possibly the template for thinking about the "Political Life."

No comments:

Post a Comment